Monday, April 9, 2012

Best weekend ever

Last weekend was super fantastic. We hit up the Raleigh Farmer's Market and bought 70% of the plants we needed for the garden. It was a little early, but so far, so good!

In the beds, we have:
lemon boy tomatoes
early girl tomatoes
roma tomatoes
three different kinds/colors of bell peppers
anaheim peppers
zucchini
eggplant






We've started two kinds of Puerto Rican peppers, basil, and cilantro in seed trays, and I'm hoping they all turn out well. I think we'll also add a few spicy peppers to the mix as well (any suggestions here?). Also, in the photo above, do you see the bottom right box FULL of strawberries? It started out as two small plants last year - this year we dug up 6 big plants and gave them to the neighbors...and we still have a ton left. This is exciting stuff for people like us who lovelovelove smoothies.

And then we canned some purple sweet potato butter. Let me tell you...so delicious. Not too sweet, it's pretty perfect. Had some with bacon and eggs over easy and it was delightful. I'm definitely putting this in my regular rotation.



Besides the mint we have, basil, rosemary, oregano and cilantro, what other herbs should I have in the garden? I've never had an herb garden that I've used regularly, so what kinds of things will I use?

3 comments:

  1. I must say I am super impressed by your green thumb!!!! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo. we planted this weekend too. I'm excited to get the garden started. I only have the basil left to get. As far as herbs, we love having mint in the garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made fast pickled carrots and radish (Vietnamese Do Chua) and started a non-spicy kimchi (dong chimi) with pear and radish. I haven't advanced to canning yet.

    ReplyDelete