Sunday, July 1, 2012

eggplant and goat cheese "sandwiches"


I am completely on a roll with Pinterest recipes. I saw this eggplant and warm goat cheese "sandwich" recipe last week and I knew. I just knew. I don't have much experience with cooking eggplant (read: I have zero experience cooking eggplant), but I love eating it. This recipe inspired me to get over my fear of the mysterious purple gourdish vegetable - and I'm so glad I did!

First, let me say that the recipe is a little spotty on details for someone with no eggplant experience. Ultimately, I just tossed the 1/2 inch slices in egg, then in gluten-free bread crumbs mixed with parm. Then I fried them in olive oil until they were tender and golden, laid them on a cookie sheet with a 1oz scoop of goat cheese in the center of half the slices. I baked at 350 for about 8 minutes, spread the cheese around and topped with an un-cheesed slice of eggplant.

For next time, I will lightly salt the eggplant ahead of time, add some extra herbs into the egg mixture, and I will top the goat cheesed slices with some super sweet maters, sliced. (Jose garnished his with bacon and seemed to really enjoy it).

Also, I'll use a tomato-based sauce next time. I had just whipped up a batch of pesto, and I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to have some.

No comments:

Post a Comment