Sunday, January 16, 2011

Goals are for Winners

My brother says that "resolutions are for suckers and goals are for winners" so I've decided to set some goals for 2011.

One - Work through at least level one of Rosetta Stone Spanish. I want to make strides towards speaking Spanish with my family-in-law. I can understand a lot of what's being said, but that's just not good enough.

Two - To bike at least 400 miles, in addition to my other workout routines.

Three - Read at least 12 books. That doesn't sound like much, I know. But I used to read ALL the time and then I just stopped. Dunno why. Last year I read 12 books in January and then 2 the rest of the year. I figured that 12 books would mean one per month and I can totally do that. Besides, I've already read 4 thus far. I think January is my binge-reading month.

Four - To make serious headway with my stash. I'm no longer under the illusion that I will not buy anything else until I've knitted everything in the house. And I'm not just saying that because I've bought more yarn - I haven't. But I'm going to be visiting a few places this year and I know I'm going to want to buy some souvenir yarn. In my mind, I was going to be done with my stash by the time I started traveling. Yeah, that's not gonna happen. But like I said, I'm making serious progress. And I'd still like to see it all knitted up by the end of the year.

Five - To knit a sweater. Once upon a time I took a sweater class and I didn't like it very much. I was brand new to knitting and I didn't like the pattern or yarn that I picked. It was worsted weight on size 7 needles. Bottom-up, stockinette stitch. For those of you who don't knit, let me translate: bo-ring with a side of that'sgonnatakeforever. I hadn't had the desire to knit a sweater until my SiL gave me a few knitting magazines for my birthday. There was one in Knit Simple that I can't deny - the Bell-Sleeve Turtleneck. It's awesome, it's simple, and it's knit in super bulky yarn. I envision it being my movie knitting project. My meeting project. The thing that I don't have to concentrate on very much. I am targeting a start date in April. That will give me time to finish my felted bag and (hopefully) several pairs of socks.

So that's it. Just five goals. I should ask my brother if I'm a winner for setting goals or if I have to achieve them to enter winner status.

2 comments:

  1. any reason for the 400 miles goal? wow, I love biking.

    When I was in elementary school, we had to run around the perimeter of the HUGE playground twice before we could play. There was a chart, it was a big deal, because by the end of the year we would run far enough to run to Disney World. (or so said the PE teacher)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sadly, 400 doesn't hold any significance, although now i'm thinking that i should have picked some fun location and made it that number.

    my reasoning for setting a miles goal may sound a little crazy. basically, pounds don't always motivate me because weight fluctuates and then i go from encouraged to discouraged and then we're back at square one. but seeing miles rack up on a spreadsheet is very motivating. AND if i'm being THAT active, the weight will follow. when i workout, i tend to eat less junk and be more conscious of the other things i'm doing. AND if i'm already at the gym for the bike, chances are that i'll also do weights or something like that.

    400 seemed like a weak number, but i don't go to the gym everyday. in fact, i tend to just go on weekends and i thought this would be a number that would force me into the gym during the week.

    ReplyDelete