Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Christmas socks for my FiL!

rosemary_sock


If you know me, then you've definitely heard me say that I have the best in-laws in the world. And it's true. I mean, I really seriously want to challenge anyone that thinks theirs are better to give me a call so we can put all the cards on the table and figure it out. I would bet Berger and Puggie that I'd win. So yeah, I'm pretty sure.

Earlier in the year I made my MiL some cotton ankle socks that she could sleep in (special request), and as we were getting things together for Christmas, I decided that I really wanted to knit my FiL some socks. Why? Well, the reasons are many:

1 - I knew he would appreciate them. He's definitely a sentimental kind of guy, and the fact that I spent 30+ hours on these socks would be completely lost on some, but not on him. Bonus: I dyed the yarn as well.

2 - We're taking a family vacation to Alaska next year. Can you think of a better place to wear hand-knitted socks? I mean, I'm sure there are a few (Antarctica, Russia, the North Pole), but Alaska and comfy socks seem like a perfect combination. And he will be visiting his friends in NY, his other kids in MN...he'll have plenty of cold places to wear them.

3 - There's nothing I can buy him that he doesn't have or can't get himself. But...he can't knit. So I spent lots of time dyeing the yarn, tweaking the pattern, and knitting them up to show my love.

And if you don't mind my saying so, I think they turned out pretty well!

hand_sock

If you're interested in duplicating it, I just made a few adjustments to the Yarn Harlot's Earl Grey pattern. One that you'll notice right away is that I didn't do the cable. I like it, but I wasn't feeling it with this yarn. So I ended up with a very hip stripe down either side of the foot. Additionally, I did cast on 70 to begin with, but when I did the gusset decreases, I stopped at 72 so that I could do the round toe. I hate the kitchener stitch.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! These turned out GORGEOUS!!!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would bet Berger and Puggie?! Wow. That's pretty damn sure.

    I love how the socks turned out! The hip stripe down the side is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Melissa! My next pair will be a more challenging pattern, and they will be for ME!

    Meg, I'm telling you that it's true. I keep waiting for the downside, but it isn't there. I mean, Jose's family is loud, but so am I. Just WAIT until I post the pics from our Christmas celebration. his mom dressed like Santa. No kidding. Coolest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, that second pic is my arm in the sock, which is why the form is weird :)

    ReplyDelete