Wednesday, February 15, 2012

WIP Wednesday - my first QUILTING project!


After completing a basic sewing project, the most logical step is not to build on your general sewing skills, but to jump right into a more advanced technique, like quilting. I wish I wasn't always the person who went from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye, but that's just the way it is.

Christy talked me off the ledge and into quilting some placemats before a real quilt. The tutorial walks you through each step of the quilting process, just on a smaller scale. Turns out, I love quilting. I really never would have guessed!

I'm embarrassed to show my lines because I know they're awful, but it's a learning process, right?


Speaking of the learning process, the pattern author says that quilter's basting spray makes the process about 10 times easier, and I can definitely see that being true. Also true, if it gets on your dining room table, it will feel and look awful and really upset your spouse. Woops.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool! The only sewing I've ever done was in home ec class in middle school and I did this sad crooked oven mitt... talk about crooked lines - it was sad sad sad. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I think these placemats are looking really nice and I want some for my house. The colors are PERFECT for my house too. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Deb is trying to claim your placemats! I have never worked with basting spray. I was always afraid to use it on a big project. I next time I do a big project I am sending it away to get quilted. I will just do the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems like a lot of work. So many steps and rules to follow!

    ReplyDelete