Saturday, April 23, 2011

Christy's Epic Idea - Part 2

A while back, I posted a video of someone turning an old hardback book into a lovely purse. I've long coveted one of these purses, but I lack the the ability to sew and I just can't bring myself to cough up the $80 - $200 that they cost.

My friend Christy sent an email to me and Tina last week explaining that she had intended to turn three of her (duplicate copy) Nancy Drew books into purses for us. The problem? She couldn't bring herself to gut the pages. I responded and offered to be the butcher and that sparked "Christy's Epic Idea":
  • Christy sent the books to me
  • I picked out fabric and handles, next I'll gut the books and send them to Tina
  • Tina will assemble the bags and distribute them

The fabric/handle combos...







I'm calling this her "epic" idea for multiple reasons. We live in three (non-adjoining) states and keep in touch via email, twitter, and blogs. The fact that we will each touch the project in some way seems really meaningful (not to mention fun)! Over the past few years the three of us have read many of the same books and then discussed them via Google Chat and emails and I've so enjoyed our book e-club :) So kudos to my very crafty, innovative, bookworm-y friends!

5 comments:

  1. wow, you did a fantastic job on the fabric and the handles. love.love.love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really? really really?? i felt good about it all last night and then i had a dream that you hated them...so really, if you want, the fabric can be replaced and my feelings will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add me to the love love love list. You did a great job with the fabric & handles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! And I was all about Nancy Drew when I was a kid. Can't wait to see the finished purses! I've never seen such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriously, I didn't even notice the fabric at first. I just saw the handles. the fabric and books just blended into one another. Then when I got to the end of the post, I was like, "what, where's the fabric?!" I love how each fabric just has a hint of yellow to match the spine and back. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete