Saturday, April 30, 2011

my heart, my home

This blog is my fun zone. I share things that make me happiest and I just realized that 95% of what I post are things that I produce - home projects, knitted pieces, recipes, plants that I grow. I thrive on being productive and helpful.

But it's hard for me to continue posting about these things that I'm creating, because all I can think about is the heartbreaking destruction in my home state of Alabama. Wednesday I watched on the web as tornadoes tore their way through my hometown areas of Concord - Hueytown - Pleasant Grove and my beloved college town of Tuscaloosa. I feel very fortunate that my family was spared in every way. So far, all of my friends are physically well though some have lost their homes and most precious possessions. So many more were not that fortunate. My friend Tim just posted that as of today, in Tuscaloosa alone, the numbers stand as: 5,731 buildings down, 39 dead, 570 missing, 1,000+ injured.

Tornadoes don't belong in my blog, because nothing could be more opposite of "productive and helpful". I do have faith that these communities will come together, hold each other up, and find a way to rebuild and move on. The truth is that it's going to get worse before it gets easier, but I know my people can do it. They can do anything.

My friend (and fantastic librarian) Lauren shared a list of ways that you can help. If you haven't seen the destruction, you should check out these links - I guarantee they'll make you want to get out and donate time, money, supplies, or blood.

Tornado over Bryant-Denny Stadium
Tornado near 15th Street in Tuscaloosa
Spann coverage of the tornado in Tuscaloosa
Aerial footage of the aftermath and viewer photos


And now we return to our regularly scheduled fun zone...

No comments:

Post a Comment