Friday, March 30, 2012

foodie penpals - round 1!

I signed up for Foodie Penpals this month, and I am so so glad that I did! The way it works: the organizer sends a spreadsheet at the beginning of the month and each person is given a person to shop for. The person you're shopping for isn't the person who shops for you, so you have two people to chat with each month (twice the fun!). The price limit is $15, and you can take any approach you want with it - a few big things, several smaller things, ingredients to cook with or snackish items. Endless possibilities.

So this month Chris was writing to me. She did a ton of leg work go find out the details on gluten-free foods, and she did an amazing job of shopping for me. First of all, just look at the adorable job she did of wrapping each piece:


Apologies for the grainy pics, I was excited to unwrap and consume, so I used the camera on my phone.


So what did I get?
Glutino Gluten Free Pretzel Twists. Yes. Yum. Love them. When I initially went gluten-free I ate these all the time. All. The. Time. Then at some point they just slipped out of the rotation, but now they are solidly back in. I took half the bag and dipped them in chocolate. I had intended to post photos of that, but while it is easy to make chocolate-dipped pretzels delicious, it is very difficult to make them look fancy. Or even decent. Anyway, they were amazing!

Pamela's Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Cookies. Wow. I've had Pamela's chocolate chunk and peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies, but I've never ever seen these here. I had declared that I wouldn't have them until I had a mug rug to enjoy them on, and that lasted like 9 days. Not bad. I finally opened them up this week and crumbled them on top of vanilla ice cream. Wowzers. I've sealed the rest away to wait on a mug rug, and if I ever find a box in stores, I'm totally making a pie crust with them.

Justin's Almond Butter. Regular AND chocolate. I've been saving these bad boys for a day when my schedule is slammed and I'm in need of a mobile snack. Apple + almond butter = happy Tif!

Organic Peppermint Tea. This is one of her favorites, so I can't wait to try it. In the past few years I've really been digging minty things, and I'm always interested in trying new teas. Ultimately, I think that Foodie Penpals is perfect for me because I tend to buy the same things over and over and this will break me out of my ruts.

Thank you, Chris, for the delicious treats and for breaking up the monotony!


This month I was writing to C over at Girl Meets Happy. She's gluten-free, so I t00k this opportunity to buy her some things that I love and some that I'm too cheap to buy for myself. Can't wait to hear her review - check out her blog to see her thoughts on my picks, and for workout inspiration!


1 comment:

  1. looks like she did a great job!!! i love peppermint tea as well :) so soothing

    ReplyDelete