Tuesday, March 27, 2012

huevos rancheros!


I have a love affair with huevos rancheros. It all started about two years ago when I ordered the dish for the first time (in my whole life) at SunnyPointe in Asheville. I had a crazy migraine and I was trying to rally for a day out at the Biltmore with Jose and his family, so I pulled out all the stops by ordering a diet coke and huevos rancheros, simply because it was the spiciest thing on the menu.

It doesn't make sense that I'd never had huevos rancheros before because 1) I really don't like breakfast food and 2) I love Mexican food. This is literally the most un-breakfast breakfast that there is. As soon as I realized that I could have this very delicious dish in place of eggs and bacon or pancakes, there was no turning back.

Since then I've cooked it a half dozen different ways, always declaring that the most recent iteration is my favorite. It just occurred to me that I should start posting the recipes so that I remember for next time.

Ingredients:
corn tortillas, lightly steamed
chorizo (GF, from Whole Foods)
bacon (baked until crispy then chopped)
black beans (with an ounce of recaito cooked in)
shreeded cheese
sour cream
eggs, over easy

I took the corn tortilla and piled it high with all the ingredients, leaving the egg for last. I cut into the egg, allowing the yolk to spill out and make the whole thing more juicy and flavorful.

SO GOOD. Seriously. I don't like eggs over easy unless they are in some version of huevos ranchero. To be fair, I don't really like eggs, so that says a lot about this dish.

Mods for next time: goat cheese instead of shredded cheese. Yes, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment