Tuesday, January 3, 2012

new year, new goals

Last year when I was setting my goals, my brother recommended that I set deadlines and stagger them throughout the year. Yeah, that didn't happen. Since I only met 3 of my 5 goals, I decided to give the staggered deadlines a try.

March 1, 2012 - Take down the window boxes in front of our house. Seriously, they look awful. They were thinly built and time has really taken a toll on them. I had planned to take them down last Fall, but I ran out of time and motivation. I need to empty them of a million pounds of dirt, demo, putty, clean, and paint the surface behind the boxes. First quarter project, no excuses.

April 21, 2012 - Participate in SPCA K9 3K Fundraiser. Last year I had a small team that raised nearly $500 for the SPCA of Wake County (which is where we got the Berg). We were a little late to the game, and I think we could contribute much more this year if we get started earlier and recruit a few more participants! If you're interested in donating, keep any eye out - I'll be posting our team info soon.

June 1, 2012 - Assemble a hurricane preparedness kit in time for hurricane season. I know that we don't get hit this far inland very often, but it HAS happened and we need to be prepared.

August 31, 2012 - Finish painting the kitchen cabinets. I should be - scratch that - I AM really ashamed of the fact that I haven't finished them already. I haven't touched this project in a long, long time, and I have to just buckle down and do it. For real.

December 31, 2012 - Have zero knitting projects in progress. Nothing on the needles, nothing needing to be blocked, nothing needing to be seamed together. I want to start 2013 with a completely clean project slate. If December has to be the month of finishing things, so be it!

Sliding deadline goals:

Regarding yarn...
learn colorwork knitting
complete a lace shawl
learn to crochet
knit a pair of Cookie A socks

Work on my Spanish. My Father-in-law said he's going to call a few times a week and that we will only talk in Spanish, but as of right now, those would be very VERY short conversations. I'd like to work through the first part of Rosetta Stone Spanish before we go on our family vacation in May, but the time between now and then will be CRAZY for me. Both at work and personally. So I'm not committing to that time frame, but I'd like to get 'er done.

Read 15 books. I read 12 last year and I think I can do better. My main problems are that I go through reading binges where that's all I do, and then I completely don't read for months at a time. Also, I finish a series and am so sad it's over, I go into a reading slump. So setting this goal is really more about managing those extremes. For example, right now I'm in the middle of a 10 book series and I got majorly bummed out about a character kicking the bucket...so instead of hammering down to find out what happens, or completely giving up, I am now reading the Hunger Games. When I finish that series, I'm sure I'll be sad, but then I'll have the other one to go back to. Yes, it's genius, I know.

Post at least one blog per week. That means I have to be doing something interesting or taking photos of something interesting at least once every 7 days. No promises, but I will surely try!

2 comments:

  1. All very doable goals. I'm still pondering mine. I experienced massive fail with resolutions last year so I'm try to think about them carefully.

    For the WIPs - I'm a big fan of WIP Wrestling for the Ravelympics. Since its time for the Olympics again this year, you sign up and try to finish as many WIPs as you can manage while watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know about the Ravelympics...gonna definitely check it out! Jose loves them and they bore me. Knit on!

    ReplyDelete