Thursday, July 7, 2011

mojito cupcakes


I've been fired up and ready to bake gluten-free cupcakes for over a week now, and the 4th of July seemed like the perfect time to start. With 50 recipes in my new cookbook, choosing the right cupcake was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Ultimately, I chose mojito cupakes because I could use mint from our garden. Plus, the theme of our friends' July 4th celebration was "summertime" and what says summer better than a mojito?

Before I could even start the baking, I had to use 6 different gluten-free flours and starches to create the flour mix. It was really frustrating that I couldn't just pull down a bag of white or wheat flour and get to work, so my attitude was definitely poor.


The authors of the book did a great job of preparing me for the work that would go into making these cupcakes the best they can be, and I truly appreciate that. But I still found myself a little bitter about the added work, especially since this was my first GF baking experience.

I had to dip my fingers in ice water and smooth the top of each cupcake, because the batter doesn't settle the way your typical batter would.


I was complaining, complaining about the added hassle of GF baking and threatening to give up baking altogether...then I peeked in the oven at the rising cakes and I was back in.


They turned out very well and tasted great, even without the icing.


My (non-existent) decorating skills left a lot to be desired, but the taste was undeniably delicious.


I strayed a bit from the recipe when it came to the icing....the authors suggested buttercream, but I don't have a candy thermometer...so I went for a regular frosting favorite, with a twist.

2 sticks butter, room temperature
3.5 cups confectioner's sugar
zest from one lime
the juice from that lime
2 teaspoons orange mint, minced

I put all ingredients in the bowl and mixed on medium-high until it was thick enough to decorate with.

2 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes were amazing. I can't wait to try the other 49 recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fantastic! You can send GF cupcakes my way anytime!

    ReplyDelete