Tuesday, July 19, 2011

pico de gallo


Pico de gallo is a favorite, but it has to be fresh to be delicious. I never make it, but after a few instances of having pico with lackluster tomatoes recently, I decided to stop being lazy and make a batch myself.

The recipe that I threw together was super delicious and I'll continue using/tweaking it in future batches. Also, SO easy. Sure, there's 10-20 minutes of chopping involved, but it's completely worth it. Now I'm wondering if I could can some for wintertime. Canners - thoughts?

Ingredients:
5 roma tomatoes, cored, seeded, diced
1/4 to 1/2 red onion, diced
2 tspns chopped cilantro
1/2 jalepeno, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
juice of three limes
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients and add a pinch or two of salt (to your liking).

It's hard to say how many this would serve. I guess you could say 4? We snacked on it while cooking tacos, then used it for our tacos and still had a serving left over. If I were taking it to a party, I would double or triple it.

No comments:

Post a Comment