Tuesday, August 2, 2011

blueberry and lemon verbena compote


My goal for this weekend was to can some blueberries before their season passed. The problem was that we couldn't decide on just one recipe (and maybe that's not a big problem because we ended up with a lot of deliciousness).

My first choice was the blueberry and lemon verbena compote in the Better Homes and Gardens special canning edition. Why? Because you serve it over ice cream (among other things), but most importantly, ice cream.

And can I just say that this is mind-blowingly yummy? It's pretty sweet and I'd like to reduce the sugar for next time, but I'll need to do some research to see what that will mean for the consistency. Also, I think I will use this as a jumping off point for other fruit compotes. I can see me making a big batch, not canning it, and having people over for delicious ice cream and fruit compote. Yes, yes I think I will have to do that.

I turned this:

into this:

The hardest part was going to the farmer's market and hopping from vendor to vendor until I found someone with a lemon verbena plant. Now that I have it, I'll most definitely make and can an additional batch of the above, and I'd love some more recipes that would make use of lemon verbena. Suggestions?Link

2 comments: