Thursday, August 4, 2011

i like (gf) toast and (blueberry citrus) jam

Jose's favorite meal is the one I'm most likely to skip - breakfast. Every once in a while I can be talked into a big morning meal...and the promise of something like blueberry citrus jam goes a long way towards convincing me!

The actual recipe is for blueberry lime jam, but I had to make a small adjustment at the last minute - yes, I know I just said that I wouldn't alter any canning recipes until I better understood the science of PH levels, but a small mishap forced my hand.

I had grated the lime peel and juiced the limes in advance and then right before the juice had to be added to the pot, I knocked it over. Could not believe it. Almost cried. With jam, everything is really time-sensitive, so I had two choices: add lemon juice instead or throw it all out. Easy decision. So it's blueberries, grated lime peel, and lemon juice. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it is amazingly amazing. To quote Jose, "this is the best jam I've ever had. Ever. Really."

My breakfast - an egg over medium, fresh tomato from the garden, oven broiled bacon and blueberry citrus jam on toast made from Udi's gluten-free bread.

Jose's breakfast - eggs over easy, oven-broiled bacon, fresh tomato from the garden, leftover blueberries and blueberry citrus jam on regular gluten-filled toast.

1 comment: