Tuesday, August 16, 2011

dehydrated sweet potatoes

I promise we're not those people. We don't buy organic or vegan kibble and treats...we don't give them garbage either, but we're definitely not the people who spend more on the dogs than they do on themselves. I know it could look that way, especially since I've been posting treat recipes, but I wanted to clarify. Not those people.

But we are cheap, er thrifty. We're totally those people. One of Berger's favorite things is dehydrated sweet potatoes. You can buy thick cuts of them on a rope and they act as a self-dispensing treat because they are so chewy. You can also buy thinner slices that are more like a special treat because they take him a few minutes (as opposed to a few seconds) to eat them. The problem? They are crazy expensive. And by crazy expensive, I mean that the chews on a rope are about $20 and a bag of maybe 12 sweet potato treats is about $8. So he gets them, but not often.

Last month I had a brilliant idea - I could dehydrate my own! The more I researched it, the more reasonable it seemed. Before investing in a kitchen gadget that I may or may not use, I wanted to borrow one to test drive. Our friends Scott and Holly were kind enough to oblige and...




...the outcome was pretty fantastic. There are things I will do differently next time...like cut the slices thinner and more evenly. Overall, definitely worth the savings!

2 comments:

  1. Berger loves those things. Also, just wanted to say how psyched I am that you are back to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has a dehydrator, uses it a lot for her raw foods diet. She makes crackers and stuff from sprouted grains. Also, you can make... jerky! AAAAND... fruit roll ups! AAAAANNDD.... uh... chips? maybe?

    ReplyDelete