Wednesday, June 1, 2011

roasted red pepper pesto


After measuring for my inaugural batch of regular basil pesto, I realized I had an extra cup of basil to spare. Instead of making that much more regular pesto, I opted to experiment with roasted red peppers. I checked with friends to see if anyone had made roasted red pepper pesto and I heard a lot of "I've never made it, but that sounds delicious".

I read recipe after recipe online and none of them struck me as fabulous, so I stole from recipes here and there and made my own:

2 cups roasted red peppers
5 oz extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (I used red)
1 cup basil
1 cup parm
5 cloves garlic (minced)
1.5 cups pine nuts
pepper and salt to taste

First I put the roasted red peppers in the food processor and blended for a few seconds. Then I added the cheese and nuts and blended for about 10 seconds. Finally, I added all other ingredients and blended until smooth.

Note: This did turn out chunkier than my normal pesto. And also, crazy yumtastic.

1 comment:

  1. If this ends up tasting as good as it sounds, I will have to plant red bell peppers in the garden next year.

    I'm also excited to make the sun dried tomato pesto again.

    ReplyDelete