Tuesday, May 31, 2011

2011 inaugural pesto

Since making my first batch of pesto last year, I've been plotting a giant pesto-fest for 2011. Why? Because we love pesto. And we use it in SO many dishes. AND homemade is much better (and cheaper) than the stuff you buy at the store. So using my friend Christy's recipe, we bravely sheared our crop and set sail in the kitchen.

the haul

Because I see many, many batches in our future, I decided to document the ingredients each time to tweak (or exactly duplicate) in subsequent attempts. This probably sounds like an obvious move, but I usually can't do the creative thing AND the organized thing in the kitchen. I'm happy to do either, but not both at the same time. Shout out to Jose for being my scribe.

The final cast of characters:
8 cups basil
4 cloves garlic
1.5 cups parm
.75 cup pine nuts
1 pinch lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup olive oil
6 pinches salt

Put it all in the food processor and blend until smooth.

Voila! The frozen final product:


3 comments:

  1. So what all do you use it in? I'm trying to make Wanda a pesto convert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we use it straight up in pasta, mixed in jose's homemade alfredo, mixed with tomato-based sauce on pasta and pizza, when sauteeing veggies, on toasted bread for apps, with a goat cheese pasta recipe...i'm sure i'm leaving something out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. and stay tuned for tomorrow's roasted red pepper pesto recipe :)

    ReplyDelete