Tuesday, December 27, 2011

brocc-o-li is a-go-go

Remember the tiny broccoli bunches I was so excited about a few weeks ago? Well...they survived the bunnies and the weather and the bugs! (Please excuse the sub-par phone photos).




This summer we definitely saved money by planting squash, zucchini, and peppers. I knew broccoli was less practical for planters because each plant would only yield one bunch, but this crop was much more about helping me through my winter blues. Mission accomplished, and I can't wait to eat them!

Side note: cauliflower didn't make it. Collards are looking good and I just need a recipe for them.

4 comments:

  1. awesome!! this is the first time in 3 years I DIDN'T plant broccoli in the fall because mine have wonderful huge leaves but never actually produce the broccoli head. That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...i have no idea what i did, so i have no tips to give. i mean, clearly the cauliflower didn't do well, so maybe it was luck. we grew broccoli from seed at the organic farm in Tuscaloosa, but for the life of me, i can't remember anything she said about the conditions the broccoli likes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beware the caterpillars! My dad and stepmom thought their broccoli escaped the bugs, but when they put them in a pot of water they discovered that hundreds of caterpillars were hiding out in the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. luckily there were no caterpillar tresspassers! i would have FLIPPED OUT if there had been a bunch in there!

    ReplyDelete