Thursday, December 23, 2010

Recaito

Recaito is a Puerto Rican cooking base made from cubanelle peppers, onions, garlic, cilantro and culantro. It's a staple. You can buy a jar of it from Goya...if you're weak. Okay, it's also legitimate to buy a jar if you only use it say...once or twice a month. We use it all the time - soups, stews, chili, rice, beans, chicken, steak, marinades. Everything. So not only is it cheaper for me to make my own, it's much more delicious. (Goya's slogan is "If it's Goya, it's gotta be good" but I say that "if it's my mother-in-law's recipe, it's definitely better".)

I have some serious PR cooking planned for my holiday vacation so I wanted to make a new batch so that I wouldn't run out. Plus I freeze most of the batch in ice trays and having a fresh supply in the fridge is priceless. SIDE NOTE: we're potentially looking at 12-15 inches of snow this weekend, so that escalated my panic level.

Me and my food processor turned this:
















into this:


1 comment:

  1. I added your link to my blog, sometimes SAVORY, on my post for Recaito.

    Carmen
    http://sometimessavory.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/recaitothe-start-to-great-puerto-rican-cuisine/

    ReplyDelete