Friday, November 12, 2010

Finished Project Four: Messenger Bag

I'm a multitasker. I love to watch TV and knit, I love to knit in meetings, I love to knit while hanging out with friends. I'm a multitasker who loves to knit. The problem with this is that I try to do projects that are too complicated for multitasking and I end up coming home and ripping it all out. Then I saw a book called Pints and Purls: Portable Projects for the Social Knitter and it hit me: that's what I am. I'm a social knitter!

The book is truly fabulous. It has simple patterns, felted projects, funky-fun projects and a few more serious patterns thrown in. The funny schtick to the book is a rating for each pattern--in drinks. They show you on a scale of 1-4 about how many drinks you can consume and still work on the project. Very clever. In my case, I translate the drinks to mouths. How much can I talk while knitting this project? I target the 4 bottle projects mostly.

The first one that I started was this messenger bag that I HAD TO HAVE. I ordered the yarn from KnitPicks and it came in under $20. The pattern served me well and I made the bag over many potlucks, happy hours, conference calls and board meetings. But then it came time to stitch the pieces together for felting. In fear, I stuffed the pieces in a bag and put them away. Inspired by this challenge of finishing projects and knitting my stash, I brought out the pieces, stitched them together and voila!

The messenger bag, open...



















The messenger bag, closed...



















Knit in KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, Claret Heather.

2 comments:

  1. ok, from the pictures it really looks like felt and not yarn ... so what the heck it felting?

    awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://knitting.about.com/od/felting/ss/how_to_felt.htm

    ReplyDelete