Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Finished Project Three: New Orleans scarf

I have long fancied Prizm's "Stuff" yarn. I have looked at it in stores, online, on Ravelry, in more stores...but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it. Why? It's a cool 100 bucks for a full skein and 50 bucks for a half skein. "Why so much?" you ask. Because it is awesome. That's it, the end. The skein is made up of a variety of yarns with vastly different textures. The yarns are hand-dyed and tied end to end every 3 yards or so. The result is a magnificent and unique striping. I've never seen a project done with Stuff yarn that I disliked.

I went to New Orleans in June and in keeping with my "a skein of sock yarn in every city" tradition, a co-worker and I made our way to this great little yarn shop in the French Quarter--The Quarter Stitch. Fabulous. Very charming, old New Orleans place. A dazzling array of yarn--it was too much to take in at once and certainly too much for my budget! With an armful of yarn, I stumbled across the most extensive collection of Stuff yarn that I had ever seen in person. Wow. I was faced with a choice: keep all of the yarn in my arms or buy the Stuff. I just couldn't do it, I couldn't spend that much on one scarf.

That night, in addition to the standard show-and-tell of yarn that my husband knows and cares nothing about, he also got an earful about the amazing Stuff yarn selection at the shop. Now, he knew about Stuff already. He'd heard the tales and legends. Wouldn't you know that on the last day of our trip, while I was working and he was partying in the French Quarter, he went into The Quarter Stitch, picked out a skein of stuff and bought it for me? I was completely stunned and excited beyond belief. I had the yarn of my dreams with none of the spending guilt--perfection!

The scarf has been *almost* done for months. I set it down because the very last of the yarn had a nasty tangle in it. I finally sorted that out and finished it up. Without further ado...




1 comment: