Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Stash











Presenting...my stash. I dragged everything out and took this picture and I thought "I don't really have THAT much." When I started adding it all up, I changed my opinion.

My stash includes, but is not limited to:

Enough yarn for 12 pairs of socks, not counting the two on the needles now that need to be finished. And then need a mate. It's all fabulous yarn, though. I'm particularly excited about the Red Rocks hand-dyed yarn and FlatFeet yarn that I got on clearance, once upon a time.

A One Pound skein of Caron yarn.

Habu Textiles Stainless Steel #A-148. I might actually need to buy another yarn to go with this one before knitting it. It's thread thin and is paired with another yarn for the Kusha Kusha scarf. Actually, another Habu yarn is called for in the Kusha Kusha pattern, but I see that others have used the A-148. I'm going to do more research, but I'm definitely hoping to make that scarf. As a side note, look at what this woman did with it. Crazy!

13 skeins of Berroco Softwist. I inherited this yarn from my friend Melissa when she weeded her stash. I remember her saying that it would be good to make scarves/hats/headbands for holiday gifts, but with so many skeins, I kinda want to make something substantial.

Three things. One, my friend Diane made a great point--I am not buying more yarn, but I could trade yarn. So I'm totally open to that possibility. Two, I really do need pattern suggestions, so suggest away! Three, do I need to knit up my scraps as well?

6 comments:

  1. scraps don't count. I just save mine for whatever. Two weeks ago a college friend asked me to donate whatever scraps I had to her daughter's elementary school for a craft project the art teacher was about to start. that cleared up a lot of stuff I didn't want to throw away but didn't have enough to do anything with (and wasn't going to buy any more).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that theory.

    Was this more or less yarn than you were expecting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. more. a lot of it was stuff I bought as projects for other people and I knew I wouldn't be buying more of it for something else.

    I held on to a few I really liked and thought I would use again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. is my stash more yarn or less yarn than you expected?

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. totally read that wrong. less. I was expecting more. gosh, can't you make like a sock a day and knock that out? ;-) I can't even imagine how many of those scarves like the most recent one I made you I could make with that 1lb Caron. maybe 8-10, seriously.

    I think once you have IDEAS for all the yarn, if you have a new project you want to buy for, then it's ok. Or at least that's how I would justify it to myself. Just buying pretty yarn "Because" isn't good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'll say that in the last few weeks, i HAVE finished a bunch of projects and used up a ton of yarn. i wish i had taken a photo in September.

    there's still so much! i feel like the photo doesn't do it justice. i think the main problem is that i have these hanging deals from IKEA that i store my yarn in...and recently they have started falling when i get yarn in/put yarn away because they are sooo full and heavy. unacceptable.

    i got these great knitting magazines for my birthday and i feel like i can't buy for projects because i still have so much yarn. i need to stick with this project so that i can buy yarn guilt-free. and i definitely need to start buying yarn with a project in mind. but that's hard to do when you are traveling and the travel purchasing is (mostly) what got me into this mess.

    can you really call an excess of yarn a mess?

    ReplyDelete