Thursday, November 11, 2010

Stalled Project: Mother-in-Law Wrap

This summer, my husband and I went to Asheville, NC with his parents, sister and brother-in-law. Asheville is fabulous--if you've been there, you know. It has amazing food, great drinks, friendly people and fantastic wildlife and natural spaces. It's also home to some amazing yarn shops, so I have to stop in and spend my life's savings there when I'm in town.

I've made a few wraps for my MiL, who lives in Puerto Rico, but I'm never sure what fabrics and patterns are best for the climate. At night it gets chilly, but do you really ever want to wear wool in PR? No, the answer is no. So while in Asheville, she was nice enough to go to my yarn shops with me (and sit and play with her iPhone and pretend not to be bored). In Yarn Paradise, she started checking things out and she stumbled upon some Colinette Giotto yarn in Mint Chocolate and asked if I would knit a wrap for her. First of all, I was impressed with her excellent taste. Second of all, uhh, yes, I will knit you a wrap with this delicious yarn.

So we bought three skeins and I toiled and toiled until I found the right pattern with the right needles, and things were going well...until the third skein. The third skein looked like burned mint chocolate. The dye lots were the same, so I don't know what the problem was. I emailed the shop some photos and asked who I should contact at Colinette. With no questions asked, they sent out a brand new skein. Fabulous customer service, I will definitely continue shopping there.

Here's a photo comparison of the third skein (left) next to the first two.
















Tonight I will tie in the third skein and work on finishing it, since it's "winter" in PR and the MiL could certainly use this little lovely. Fingers crossed that the dye lot on the new skein is right!

2 comments:

  1. I just clicked the Yarn Paradise link. wow. maybe it's for the best that I haven't discovered yarn like this in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably. You know, my friend Laura (who inspired me to knit in the first place) used to say things like "just wait until you get a taste for the expensive stuff" and I would think "you're crazy." But now...now I understand.

    ReplyDelete