Sunday, May 15, 2011

only happy when it rains


I try to be green in every sense of the word, but I'm probably most passionate about reducing waste or water conservation. I've been pretty serious about water since I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I was shown a video as part of Earth Day at some point that scared me silly and that's what caused it.

In any case, we had a rain barrel at our old place and man, I loved that thing! I was sad to leave it and up until this point, we really haven't had anything that needed constant watering at the new place. Sure, we have a million, zillion plants in our yard, but they are all very well established and apparently they thrive in droughts because everything has doubled in size since we moved in.

But now we have a veggie garden. So the rain barrel got moved up the priority list (yes!) and it went in last weekend. It's rained enough this week that it's finally full!

3 comments:

  1. hurray. I have a gardening rule: we do not water the garden with hose pipe water. only rain water. no exceptions. When all my receptacles are full, I can water the garden everyday for 3 weeks. I'm very proud of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum is the first person on the island to install a rainwater harvesting system! She made the local gazette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. christy, i think that's a great rule and i'm proud to know you :)

    m, i wish i had met your muuuum! already two cool stories this week outta her!

    ReplyDelete