Wednesday, September 21, 2011

sweet pea art


Me and some of my favorite sweet peas :)

I really enjoyed everything about the New College reunion. I caught up with some of my former classmates, heard about the wonderful and fascinating things they're doing...I got to see the new NC space in Lloyd Hall...I got to meet some of the current students and recent graduates and feed off of their excitement...so much good stuff!

As my friend Corley said, New College taught us that you don't have to choose. The path you choose for your career doesn't have to dictate your interests and hobbies. Corley is an urban planner who lives on a farm and plays in a band. Pretty diverse, and pretty amazing. Once upon a time, I liked to paint. I was never any good at it, but New College taught me that I didn't have to be good at something to try it out. It was really nice to see that no matter how archaic/simplistic, some of my projects were still on display. Please, no laughing.

A welcome gift for Dr. Hall, circa 2002?


One weekend, Margaret let some of the sweet peas into Carmichael and we rolled out some canvas and had a paint-fest. My contribution? A masked snake:


The more artistic sweet peas painted this:


And I had nothing to do with this, but I do love it. We should all think about what goes into the footprint we leave on this earth:


See? I'm a librarian who likes to knit, occasionally paints, grows vegetables, and cares about the environment. You can be whoever you want to be. Thanks, New College.

No comments:

Post a Comment