Monday, September 5, 2011

possum scarflet

Last year some friends of ours traveled to Australia, crazy awesome, right? I know, I was totally jealous too. It just so happens that they stumbled upon a market with hand-knitted things, and also some pretty fantastic yarn. The result was a super cute hat for their super cute kid, and a skein of yarn for me - hip, hip hooray!

Whenever yarn is a gift or souvenir, or sentimental in any way, I have the hardest time deciding what to knit with it. And in this case, in addition to being a souvenir and a gift, it was also really unique. Why? Because it's a local yarn, spun from POSSUM fur, and un-dyed. You can actually see some individual hairs in the yarn (wow) AND the smell sends Berger into a frenzy. Berger Lopez: possum hunter. Rii-i-i-ight.

Anyway, the point is that I wasn't sure what to make...then I finally saw the Tweed Scarflet in KnitScene Easy 2010. Bingo. It was completely perfect. I knit it up in about an hour and a half, easy peasy. If I had it to do all over again, I think I would have chosen some more colorful buttons...but hey, buttons can quite easily be replaced.

And for those who were curious, here's the really sassy hand-knit hat that the baby got...

Photo and child by: Todd Guerdat

I think she likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment