Wednesday, September 28, 2011

i heart crochet

I am convinced that if you are a crafter, you should only give handmade gifts to other crafters. I mean, sometimes you'll get an appropriate amount of excitement from a non-crafter, but to really appreciate some projects, I think you have to have an idea how much work goes into them. I know that I've had some lackluster responses to things in the past, and it's disappointing.

When I get something that's handmade, I'm COMPLETELY jazzed. To be fair, I get pretty jazzed anytime someone thinks enough of me to give me a gift, so if they took the time to make it...then..yeah.

For my birthday, my friend Meg crocheted a STEELERS trivet for me! This is exciting on three different levels: Steelers, handmade, crochet flower. Love, love, and LOVE! In fact, it's now considered art, not a kitchen accessory.



By the way, this is really, REALLY driving my desire to learn crochet.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. And I agree, I often feel that non-crafters (like my siblings) never appreciate homemade gifts and I've stopped giving them to them. But MAN, I'll tell you, making something for a crafter definitely means there's a higher bar. Esp if they both sew and crochet. Since those are my two crafts, I feel I have to work extra hard to be creative/awesome because otherwise they could just make it themselves.

    (ie why TMDS hasn't gotten any sewn stuff from me but has gotten lots of crochet stuff!)

    And the trivet is awesome. I STILL have to learn granny squares. esp now that it's fall and I'm picking my crochet up more.

    ReplyDelete