Thursday, September 8, 2011

swedish potatoes


My favorite kind of recipe is one that uses foods that I typically have in my kitchen. Also, most of the recipes I use are ones that someone else recommends. It's nice to get trusted opinions, warnings, and suggestions before diving into something that may or may not be good. My friend Christy has given me some pretty fantastic suggestions over the years, and these Swedish potatoes were no exception. The recipe calls for you to drizzle melted butter and olive oil over them, rub freshly minced garlic between the slices, and top with salt and pepper. They were really great, but I should have used more butter. And next time I'll probably start branching out with some various herbs and spices. The possibilities are really endless...

4 comments:

  1. I have never had potatoes like this. But on Thursays, Swedes eat Split Pea soup and have pancakes with ligonberries for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't rub the garlic, I dice it TINY TINY TINY and put a few piece between each slices. I bet rubbing it a little before I diced it up would give it even MORE flavor!

    ALSO, all three times I'm made these, I've thought, "wouldn't it be fantastic if there was some sort of cutter that would do that to the potatoes automatically?" until then my hands will have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @M - my first thought when i saw the recipe was, "i've never seen these at IKEA, so i doubt they are really Swedish" :) one day, ONE DAY, when I see "Swedish", I will think of you first. one day.

    @CAR - basically, when i'm doing that, i'm trying to work the garlic between the slices. do my slices seem closer together than yours? i'm always afraid i'm going to break the potato in half. i was thinking of mixing the garlic with the melted butter and brushing it on to get in there better. i look forward to perfecting this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea, I think mine look a little more open because of putting the garlic between the slices. Don't worry, I've split one before and it still tastes fantastic. That's a good idea to mix the garlic with the butter. You could also let the garlic soak in the olive oil and/or butter for a little while before to infuse the flavors a little more.

    I think these would be perfect if they cooked faster. Really? I have to wait 40 minutes for this? worth it ... but I'm impatient for good food.

    ReplyDelete